Makes 13 'large' curry puffs
Ingredients for pastry
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp shortening
4 Tbsp cold water
1. In a food processor add the flour, salt and shortening. Pulse to blend the shortening into the flour mixture. Add water slowly till a dough is formed.
2. Remove and rest dough in the fridge for ½ hour.
3. Roll out thinly.(I prefer to use my pasta machine as it can churn out a very thin pastry without too much effort).
4. Cut pastry into rounds, place on the curry puff mould, add the filling. Lightly brush one edge with water to help seal .
5. Deep fry the curry puffs until golden brown.
Ingredients for Curry Puff Filling
100 gm beef mince (meat of your choice)
330 gm potato (boil and cube)
¼ cup peas
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp curry powder
¼ tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp tumeric powder
1. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a wok. Add mince and the rest of the 'filling' ingredients and fry till mince is cooked.
2. Set aside and leave to cool before using.
Tip : These curry puffs freeze well. Freeze them uncooked. When you want to eat them, toss them straight into the deep fryer without defrosting. There is no difference in texture or taste and are just as crispy.