Homemade jams will always taste better than store ones with the added advantage of being able to adjust the sweetness and also how chunky or smooth you like your jam. The balsamic vinegar gives the jam depth. Omit if you do not have any available.
Makes 2 : 250gm jars
500gm strawberry, hulled
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1½ Tbsp vodka
1. Place 2 small saucer into the freezer.
2. Put the strawberries and lemon juice in a pot. If the fruit is too big, cut in half. (I did not crush the strawberries as the fruit will be boiled to the point of almost disintegrating)
3. Add sugar, balsamic vinegar and stir thoroughly.
4. Boil rapidly (rolling boil) for about 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Test whether the jam is ready by spooning a little onto a chilled plate. If the jam is ready, a skin will form on top when it cools and 'wrinkles' when pushed with a fingertip.
6. Add vodka and use a lighter to burn off the alcohol or just stir to mix