Monday, May 22, 2006

Kai Chai Paeng ~ Kampar Chicken Biscuit

Kampar is a small town in Malaysia. Among other things, it is famous for its kai chai paeng aka Kampar chicken biscuit (there's no chicken in it !). The biscuit is very crispy, savoury in flavour and has a very distinct fragrance.

When Rusti at kc mentioned she made some, I could hardly contain my excitement, it triggered in me a nostalgia for the biscuit and had to try out the recipe she posted. The aroma was very authentic - smelt exactly like the commercial ones. Every time I open the biscuit tin, the aroma transport me back to the Kampar shop where I use to buy them. If you like kai chai paeng, you have to try the recipe.

kai chai pang
Makes : approx 36 biscuits (between 3" to 4" in diameter)

Ingredients
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ammonia powder
½ tsp salt
½ Tbsp garlic (minced very finely)
2 pieces nam yue (red fermented beancurd)
1 small egg (lightly beaten)
30g maltose


60g sesame seeds
100g candied wintermelon, chopped finely {tong tung kwah)
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp five-spice powder
30g cooking oil

Method
1) Preheat oven to 160 degree C. Line baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
2) Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. If mix is a bit dry add enough eggs until a soft dough is formed.
3) Roll dough into small marble size pieces.



4) Place each marble sized dough between two small squares of parchment paper, flatten with a rolling pin.


5) Transfer to baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 minutes till golden brown and crispy.
6) Cool on rack and store in airtight jar.

kampar chicken biscuit
Recipe : Amy Beh @The Star kuali here (adapted)

15 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I miss Kampar Chicken Biscuits.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner,

I love chicken biscuit too! And would love to try out this receipe someday..

Anonymous said...

Looks really yummy. I miss the food in Kampar(eg lai fun, chee cheong fun). Born and stayed there for 19 years.
Thanks for posting so many recipes in your blog. I have tried some of the recipes. So far so good. :)

Viv from Singapore

Sinner said...

Vivien,
I miss the egg tart and siu pau from Kampar. Good to hear you have tried and liked some of the recipes. It is very encouraging to get positive feedback. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

How big is your 2 pieces of nam yue?

Sinner said...

Jan, the nam yue inside the jar comes in cubes. 2 piece of that.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sinner

The nam yue in my clay jar comes in chunks. So I used an estimation of about 40g nam yue. Is it enough? I’ve added about 1 & half eggs. Frankly, I have never heard of this biscuit before but it looks delicious from the pics. Are they supposed to be crispy cos my texture are a bit soft. I’ve got feedback from people who have eaten this biscuit before, saying that mine are not so tasty and also dry though we can smell the aroma flavour.

Sinner said...

Jan,
I had another look at the jar label. It had tiny words that says 1 piece = 15gm.

It has been a while since I made this but the texture should be crispy. I don't remember it as being dry.
The next time you pass Kampar, or get a friend to buy you a packet. I love that biscuit. Your friend might comparing your homemade kai chai pang with the real thing !
Brave of you to make it even though you have never eaten the famous Kampar one before :)

Anonymous said...

My 2nd attempt is better this time! They have more flavour & are cripsy. FIY..In addition to yr ingredients, I've added 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp five spice, 20g cooking oil.

Anonymous said...

I rolled them till paper thin & baked them at 140 degrees for 25 mins.

Unknown said...

Hi Sinner,

What is ammonia powder? Since I live in Avondale, you can tell me precisely where to get it. Thanks.

Sinner said...

Hi Denise,

My friend gave me the ammonia powder but I am pretty sure I have seen it in the Asian shops. It is a very strong smelling powder.
If you would like to leave me your address I could always post some to you.

Sinner said...

Hi Denise,

I believe it is called 'chow fun' in cantonese.

I will pop it into the post box when I go out next week.

Unknown said...

Dear Sinner,

Received the ammonia powder intact. Thanks a lot. Incidentally what is its purpose in the recipe?

Sinner said...

Hi Denise,

You are most welcome. I believe ammonia powder gives the 'food' an extra light and crispy texture. Do a google, you might find more detailed info.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs