Saturday, September 10, 2011

Ayam Kapitan ~ Spicy Kapitan Chicken

I managed to borrow Australia Master Chef winner Adam Liaw's cookbook "Two Asian Kitchens"  from our library. I quite like his cookbook and have already tried a few recipes from there.

Ayam Kapitan is not a dish I have eaten before but is quite well known in Malaysia. Loved the gravy. We mopped up the curry sauce with some freshly baked baquette.

ayam kapitan

Ingredients:
1½ kg chicken pieces
1½ onion, finely sliced
1 Tbsp cooking oil

200ml coconut cream
100ml water
¼ tsp salt

½ lime juice
2 lime leaves, to serve.

ayam kapitan


Spice Paste (grind together)
1 onion
5 clove garlic
2½ cm ginger
2½ cm galangal
2½ cm fresh turmeric
5 candlenuts
2 stalk lemon grass (serai)
1 tsp belacan
3 red chilli
13g korean chilli powder or 4 dry red chilli


ayam kapitan

Method:
1. Heat oil in wok and fry spice paste for 5-6 minutes (medium heat) or until paste is fragrant and volume has reduced by about one-third.

2. Add the sliced onions and chicken.  Fry for a further 2 minutes until the onions are soft.

3. Add in the coconut cream and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until chicken is cooked. If you want to reduce the sauce, remove cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes.

4. Season with salt and sugar to taste. Stir in lime juice. Garnish with lime leaves and serve with rice or roti.

ayam kapitan

Note :
1. Add more chilli if you prefer it spicier.
2. I have not reduced my gravy by much as we prefer to have heaps of gravy.

Tip :
I have used the korean chilli powder as a substitute for dry chillis as I am a lazy cook. This chilli powder is pure chilli without additives.

Recipe : Two Asian Kitchens by AdamLiaw (adapted)

13 Comments:

Shereen said...

*Wave, wave* Gosh, this curry truly look so delicious...now I know what I can cook with my FRESH galangal and not with FROZEN ones *grins*. The closeup makes my mouth water!

Jen Mak said...

hi Sin H, the chicken looks really good. I will try it soon & let you know the outcome. Are you starting your 'new season' in cooking & photography? if so, that's excellent! I missed it. regards, Jennifer Mak

Sinner said...

Thanks Shereen. *waving back* Sometime when it is raining, I cook with the frozen galangal too. lol

Sinner said...

Hi Jen, if you are going to try this recipe, you might want to sub the onion with shallots since it is cheaper in Msia (though a lot of work to peel). I hate peeling shallots.lol

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks and sounds remarkable. This is my first visit to your blog and I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that.I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Babe_KL said...

looks good and Adam's book has yet to reach Malaysia :(

Tigger mum said...

Another nice recipe to bookmark! Btw, I've been making your Lemon Yogurt Cake and EVERYONE here loves it!!! It's a go to cake for me!!! I can ALMOST make it without looking at the recipe!!! ;)

Sinner said...

Mary : Hope to see you back soon.

babe_kl : I am lucky to have a library that is so quick to get the book.

tigger mum : The lemon yoghurt cake must indeed be popular if you know the recipe by heart :). I still have to refer! ;) Appreciate the feedback.

Maven said...

Sorry to see you haven't updated your blog since September. Hope everything is okay. Miss your creative recipes and great photos.

Sinner said...

Hi Maven, thanks for your concern. Am taking a break from blogging as life is a bit busy at the moment. My batteries need recharging! ;)

Chelle said...

Hi Sinner,

Would like to say a big thank you for sharing all these wonderful recipes. ^^ We've tried some of them and my family loves it. Hope everything is well on your end. Have a nice weekend!

Sinner said...

Hi Chelle, so glad your family loves some of the recipes here. Gosh...how time flies, looks like I have been hybernating for more than a year! lol
Really appreciate your feedback. You have a great weekend too!

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

I've never tried this before even though I'm Malaysian! Looks really good, I'll have to bookmark this! Thanks for posting!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs