Yield : about a few tablespoon.
10 black peppercorn
4 cardamon pod
2" cinnamon stick
2-4 Tbsp chilli powder
4 Tbsp coriander seed
1 tsp fennel seed
1 whole star anise
1 tsp tumeric powder
1. Partially roast the whole spices over low to medium heat until fragrant. Leave to cool.
2. Grind until fine with a coffee grinder.
3. Store in an airtight container and use as required.
Add as much or as little chilli powder as you like. It all depends how hot you like your curries.
1. Grind spices are best used within 6 months. Whole spices can be kept for years.
2. In Auckland, I get all my whole spices in the Indian shops. Much cheaper.
3. For the chilli powder, I buy whole dry stemless chillies (again at Indian shops), dry it in the sun, toast it lightly, grind in a coffee grinder and store in airtight containers. This is to ensure my chilli power is pure chilli powder with no other additives.