Thursday, September 10, 2009

Steamed Pork Spare Ribs with Black Bean Sauce

I have been tweaking this dish for months now. It was missing that 'something' until I finally managed to get my hands on the illusive ingredient - preserved salted plums (wet suen mui) carried all the way back from Malaysia. I did try to substitute with dry salted plums (dry suen mui) but it just didn't quite work.

If you like to eat the steamed spare ribs at dim sum restaurants, then this is the dish for you. Not difficult as everything is thrown in to marinate and steam.

steamed pork spareribs with black bean sauce

Ingredients
1 kg pork spare ribs (cut to bite sizes)

4 clove chopped garlic
2 thin slice ginger, julian
1 chilli, sliced (optional)

2 Tbsp soya bean paste, mashed
2 Tbsp salted fermented black beans, mashed
2-3 wet sour plum (suen mui)
4 tsp shao hsing chinese wine
½ tsp dark soy sauce
½ tsp sesame oil
2 tsp plum sauce
2 tsp corn flour
pinch sugar
dash pepper

chinese steam pork spareribs

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients together and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge.

2. Steam in the pressure cooker for 30-45 minutes. On normal stove steam on medium high flame until tender.

3. Garnish with spring onions and serve with rice or noodles.

dim sum spareribs
Tip
1. Steaming times are approximate only as it is dependent on the quality of meat on the ribs.
2. The cooked spare ribs freezes well. Freeze in airtight containers.

13 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner,

This is purplegirl from IK :) I chanced upon yr lovely blog by coincidence. I just want to say you´re doing a wonderful job for your blog and I really enjoyed all your food pics. Drooling over them. I love this steamed spare ribs dish at Chinese rests. I will definately try it out since I just brought back a jar of suen mui and black beans from my recent trip to Msia :)

purplegirl aka eliz

Unknown said...

wow, yummy hungry now, i wish your my mum!!

Sinner said...

Hi purplegirl,

Thanks. Fancy seeing you here :)

Sinner said...

cheron99 - I am sure your mum is a great cook :)

Charles Rinehart said...

Great looking food. Wow. Excellent stuff.

Bob Goh said...

hi,

I like this dish. I wonder whether I can get reserved salted plums (wet suen mui) in Wellington.

Thanks for sharing!

Sinner said...

Hi Bob,

If you find wet suen mui in Wellington, can you please let me know which shop sells them ? Thanks.

steph said...

Hi Sinner

I happened to find your blog while searching for Haam Sui Gaau recipes. Was quite excited to learn you are based in NZ! Just wondering, do you know of a place selling calamansi here???

:)

Thanks!

Sinner said...

Hi Steph,

Welcome ! I haven't seen any calamansi here but am always on the lookout.

Amy Goh said...

Hi!

Cooked this dish today, very flavorful. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Sinner said...

So glad you liked the steamed ribs, Amy.
Appreciate the feedback. Thanks :)

sookiemac said...

Sinner, another success story with the pork rib recipe, thanks! I'd bought 1.5kg cartilegey bits from my fav Vietnamese butcher and have 2 portions marinated, vac-packed and in the freezer (hope that keeps well). Got the stuff for the fragrant peanuts which is next on my list!

Sinner said...

Sookiemac, yessss...so glad you like this steam ribs as well. Your freezer marinated ribs will keep well and will give you an even better flavoured dish.
My mouth is watering just from thinking of the next recipe you are planning to try. Thank you for the feedback.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs