Thursday, February 02, 2006

Char Siew Mee ~ BBQ Pork Noodles

This noodle known in chinese as "kon loh meen" is a typical asian style lunch . I have made my own noodles which taste very silky smooth and served it with beef and pork balls, prawns and char siew (bbq pork).

Kon Loh Meen
Ingredients
1 tsp oil (I use olive oil, onion oil would be more fragrant)
1 tsp dark sauce (see pic)
1 tsp soy sauce

Noodles (I make my own wantan mee) See here

From my frozen store (premade) :
beef balls
pork balls (recipe
here )
char siew (bbq pork)
prawns
sambal
1 bunch of greens (choy sam, pak choy, spinach, brocolli or cauliflower)
1 Tbsp fried onions

Method :
1. Drizzle oil, dark sauce and soy sauce onto your 2 serving plates.
2. Put beef and pork balls and prawns into boiling water.
3. Microwave and slice char siew.
4. Put vegetables into boiling water and boil quickly.
5. Remove the food from the pot and place at the side of the 2 plates
6. Boil your noodles for a few minutes. ( I do not plunge the noodles into cold water and then hot water again as I observed there was not much difference to the texture of the noodle. Plus have to wash another pot and the timing have to be so right because by plunging here and there the noodles tend to get overcook and the other food gets cold).
7. Remove noodles from pot and divide into 2 plates.
8. Toss the noodles with the 'liu' (food) to mix thoroughly with oil and sauce.
9. Place char siew on top of the noodles and sprinkle with fried onions.
10. Serve with sambal on the side

Note
This dark sauce is highly recommended. It gives the chinese noodles and dishes a really authentic asian taste.


Redneck says……
My all-time favorite noodle dish. See fried onion recipe for onion oil.

2 Comments:

Conmeister said...

Hi Sinner

This particular brand of dark soy sauce - Yuen Chun - I think this is the best brand but cannot find it anywhere anymore in AK nor can my mum find it in WN. Where do you get yours now please? For now the next best is Cheong Chan.

Thanks, Connie.

Sinner said...

Hi Connie,
I had the same problem trying to find the Yuen Chun brand recently. Went to practically all the shops with no luck - almost to the point of giving up.
My friend eventually found it for me at Saveway Highland Park somewhere in Pakuranga.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs