Kok chai (peanut puff) is one of the traditional goodies served during Chinese New Year. They can either have a filling of sweet peanut or savoury har mai (hae bee hiam).
Ingredients for Dough
1 egg yolk
70 gm peanut or corn oil
70 gm water
1. Into a food processor add the flour and eggs.
2. Add the oil and water until the mixture begins to look like breadcrumbs.
3. Remove and knead gently into a smooth dough.
4. Rest dough for 2 hours.
5. Divide the dough into several portions.
6. Roll the dough thinly. (I took the easy way out and used the pasta machine to roll)
7. Cut into rounds. Place a round pastry onto the mould, add either peanut or savoury hae bee hiam in the centre. Dip your finger into water, moisten half the edge and shut mould to seal.
8. Deep fry on medium high heat till golden brown.
Note : My kok chai mould measures 2½" in diameter which is the smallest available. If you are good with manual pleating, the kok chai can be made smaller.
Makes 35 kok chai
150 gm ground roasted peanut
25 gm toasted sesame
85 gm castor sugar
Mix all three ingredients together and used as required.
Recipe : hugbear @ imperial kitchen