Bottling has taken on a new popularity as people become more aware of food and health consequences of unknown food additives in store bought items.
A very easy pickle to make. It was the first time I was able to use the slicing blade that came with my food processor. Within a minute, all the zuchinnis were finely sliced and ready for action.
Redneck said the pickled zucchini reminded him of eating a MacDonald cheese burger. It has that same taste. Have the zucchinis with your cold meat sandwiches, on rolls or add to your salad.
Makes 3 jars (Craig jam jars)
800gm zucchini thinly sliced
¼ cup salt
1½ cup white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp dill seed
3/4 tsp mustard seed
3/4 tsp tumeric
¼ tsp dry mustard
1. Add salt to sliced zucchini and mix thoroughly. Let stand for 1 hour and then drain.
2. Mix remaining ingredients and boil for 3 minutes.
3. Pour hot mixture over the zuchinni and let stand for at least 1 hour.
4. Return zucchini and liquid to the pot and boil for 3 minutes.
5. Pack zucchini tightly in sterilised* jars, pour in the hot liquid and seal.
6. Label and store in a cool place.
1. To sterilised jars. Wash jar in hot soapy water and leave in the hot oven 110C for 10-15 minutes.
Use the slicer that comes with your food processor. It cuts it very neatly and speedily.
Recipe : kaye @ Best Recipes (adapted)