There is a belief that eating these gin soaked raisins can help relieve migraine, gout and some joint pain such as arthritis. Some may think it is all cock and bull or one of those fish wives tales. The first I heard about this was from kwa kwa at Ik. Needless to say I was sceptical but a quick search on the net did prove that there was such a thing.
We are eating these not because we have arthritis but more as a preventative measure for any future aches and pains and besides the raisins are really tasty with our after dinner nuts.
1. Place the raisins in a glass jar. Pour enough gin to completely cover the raisins. Cover with a lid.
2. Give it a stir or shake every 1-2 days.
3. Soak for 2 weeks, adding more gin if necessary.
4. Drain out any excess gin and place gin soaked raisins in a jar with a lid. I keep mine in the fridge.
5. Eat 7 to 9 raisins daily.
1. Do not throw away the leftover gin. Use it for the next batch of raisins.
2. I found the second batch of raisins were sweeter as I used some of the leftover liquid from the first batch and topped it up with more gin.
3. It is not a miracle cure and does take at least 6-8 weeks to show any results if any.
4. Highly alcoholic, do not consume in excess. Eat only 7-9 raisins per day.