Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

A lot of people have this notion that ice cream making is tedious. That was my thinking too before I was convinced otherwise by my mate cwl.

Homemade ice cream is made up of four main very basic ingredients.....milk, eggs, sugar and cream. How healthy or fattening your ice cream is depends on type of milk and how much cream and sugar you add in.

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with choc chunks
This may not be the creamiest of ice cream but at least it is a healthier version and can be enjoyed with far less guilt. The fragrance from the vanilla beans was just divine.

I would like to thank my sil Cathryn who loaned me her ice cream maker, setting the wheels in motion to my journey into the icy world. The ice cream machine I have bought is cheap and basic but does a good enough job.

Makes about 1 Litre

Ingredients
375ml low fat milk (light blue top)
100g sugar
1-2 vanilla bean
2 eggs
250 ml cream
2 Tbsp vodka

25g rum n raisin chocolate, chopped


Method
1. Pour milk and sugar into a saucepan. Using a sharp knife, split the vanilla beans in half lengthways. Scrape out the seeds and add the pod and seeds into the milk. Heat on medium-low to a simmer point (do not allow to simmer).

2. In another container whisk the eggs. Gently whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture to temper it.

3. Return the entire mixture and half the cream into the saucepan and heat on medium-low heat until custard consistency stirring all the time (5 minutes).

4. Remove custard from the heat. Lightly whip the remaining cream and add to the custard.

5. Add vodka. Stir well to combine. Remove vanilla pods and strain.

6. Cover the top of the mix with a clingwrap to prevent a skin from forming.

7. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavour develop.

8. Churn in ice cream machine and add the choc chunks. Spoon mixture into an airtight container and freeze for several hours.

9. Leave at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

This is a 1:18 minute video on the making of vanilla mint ice cream which shows the gist of making homemade ice cream.
Accompanying song : Ice Cream by New Young Pony Club.



Note :
1. About an hour before churning in the ice cream machine, I usually put the ice cream mixture into the freezer. This is to make it extra cold thus cutting down on the churning time.
2. If you have a sweet tooth, add more sugar.
3. For the chocolate chunks, I have used a Cadbury chocolate bar.

Tip
As alcohol does not freeze, adding vodka prevents the ice cream from turning into a solid block.

13 Comments:

Christina Kim said...

Innovation....hehe, everything is innovated these days!:)
Vodka with ice-cream...that's an interesting idea!

Unknown said...

What a lovely dessert! :)

Sinner said...

Hi Angie, Lovely to see you.

Unknown said...

Thanks pal! I've always been lurking ard my fav blogs, though not as often as previously.

Also, since I won't be in Sg for the next few days, so here's my wishes in advance:

Gong Hei Fatt Choy! May the year of the Rat bring you good health and happiness!

Sinner said...

Kong Hei Fatt Choy, Angie.

Wishing you a Very Happy & Prosperous year of the Rat !

Sinner said...

Thanks for your comment Christy. Alcoholic ice cream is really yum !

Geet said...

Hi I just love your blog. I want to know what brand of ice cream maker you use?

Sinner said...

Hi Geet,
I have the Sunbeam Snowy. Bought it in 2008 and still going strong. Churns ice cream for us at least once a week.
Thanks for dropping by.

Geet said...

Thanks for the fast reply but I am not in AU so I guess will have to shop around in US. Love all your ice cream blogs. Visit me at http://imgeet.blogspot.com

Geet said...

Hi,

I am going to make this vanilla ice cream but since my kids are eating I do not want to use alcohol. Is that fine ?

Thank you.

Sinner said...

Hi Geet,
Yes you can leave out the alcohol. Just remember to leave the ice cream to thaw a bit before eating.

Geet said...

Hey there,

Thanks for the wonderful yummy recipe. I made it yesterday and its awesome but one thing is why does it melt so fast when I serve it. Any tips ?

Sinner said...

Hi Geet,

Ice cream will melt fast if it is eaten a few hours after it had been made especially in hot weather. But the texture is at its best. On the first day we love it in a cone but will melt really fast. As it stays in the freezer longer (another day) then the ice cream texture will go harder and takes a bit longer to melt. With kids I can just imagine them impatiently hassling you with "is it ready to eat yet?" every few minutes !!
Appreciate the feedback.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs