Monday, August 03, 2009

Beef Rendang 'Shiok' ~ Spicy Dry Coconut Beef

This particular rendang uses a bit more spices than the kerisik rendang but they are both equally good. We love our rendang and always have a container or two in our freezer for that quick and easy meal.

Rendang Daging

Ingredients
1 kg beef (stewing beef, shin, rump or any other cut)
300ml coconut cream + ½ cup water
3 stalk lemon grass
6 lime or tahitian leaf
4 slices blue ginger (galangal)
½ tsp salt


Spice Paste (ground together)
2 big onion
4 clove garlic
1½ Tbsp mince ginger
4-8 fresh or dried chillies
5 Tbsp toasted coconut
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground turmeric

Method
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large heavy based pot and bring to a boil.

2. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially covered and simmer for 1-2 hours or until beef is tender and gravy is very thick and shiny with oil. Stir every now and then. Season to taste.

3. Serve hot with rice or ketupat.

Malaysian dry beef rendang
Note
1. I find it more economical to use coconut cream and add water to dilute and use accordingly. If you are using coconut milk use 425ml with no added water.

2. Add more chilli if you prefer it spicier.

3. To toast coconut : put the dessicated coconut in a wok (no oil), keep stirring until it turns brown and the oil from the coconut starts to show.

Homemade Beef Rendang
Tip
1. If your meat is about ready but there is still a lot of liquid, turn up the heat and cook without the lid for more rapid evaporation.

2. If the meat needs further cooking but the gravy is getting dry, add more coconut milk or water.

3. Rendang freezes well. In fact it taste better with age.

4. Wherever possible grind your own whole spices with the coffee grinder. Ready ground spices can get stale and taste dull very quickly. Do the sniff test, if your ground spices do not smell fragrant, toss it out. You will be doing your curry a favour !

Recipe : Shiok Exciting Tropical Asian Flavors by Terry and Christopher Tan (adapted)

7 Comments:

Tricia said...

Oh My! Oh My! This is my fav dish! I miss it tremendously after I moved to Canada ... can't find Turmeric Leaves.

Can't wait to try your version. I am going out to get the ingredients!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Oh Gosh!!! This sure look great!Will try it up soon......

I chance upon your blog thru one of my friend recommendation and you really have a lot of great recipes. Thanks for sharing :)

Tricia said...

Sinner! Thank Q! Thank Q! for this recipe!!! It's the closes I have come to the rendang I love in Malaysia.

I made some adjustments (to my taste)I added 12 kaffir lime leaves (I only had frozens ones at home).

Yummy!

Sinner said...

Tricia,

You are really superfast. One minute you were going to get ingredients and the next you have already cooked the rendang.

So glad you liked this rendang !

Sinner said...

Hi Ellena,

Welcome to our blog. Would love to hear your feedback on any dishes you try :)

Olivia said...

Hi
I've sent you a Kreativ Blogger Award. You have been nominated as you have always spiced up my culinary journey.

Please refer to my blog for the award details.

Thanks and Cheers
Olivia

Sinner said...

Hi Olivia,

Thanks for the award.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs