100g gula melaka
75g mak ngah tong (maltose)
2 tsp sugar
125ml thick coconut milk
1. Measure ingredients into a pot and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
2. Keep stirring.
3. Test by dropping a blob into cold water. It should harden.
4. Pour a little at a time onto a greased silicone mat.
5. Roll into a long sausage shape using your hands. If too hot to handle use the silicone mat or a pair of spatula to pat into shape.
6. Cut into to desired length while still warm.
7. Wrap with cellophane wrappers or foil.
Tip : Using freshly squeezed coconut milk if available, will give you a more flavoursome lolly.
Recipe : Amelia from the book New Year Snack by Amy Wong (adapted)