Ayam Masak Sambal Kicap, another uncomplicated and mouthwatering spicy dish that can be prepared ahead of time to allow the chicken to further marinade in the sambal sauce. Make extra as this dish freezes well.
1.5kg chicken, cut into smaller pieces
3 stalks lemongrass, smashed
10 kaffir leaves, torn
8 Tbsp tomato sauce
3 Tbsp soya sauce
3 Tbsp kicap manis
salt & sugar to taste
1 Tbsp Baba chilli powder or chilli paste
5 medium red onions
9 cloves garlic
2 cm fresh ginger
1 tsp ginger powder
1/2 cup water
1. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a wok. Saute the ground ingredients with the lemongrass on medium heat until fragrant and paste has reduced.
2. Add chicken and mix well. Cook for 10 minutes. Add some water if it´s drying out.
3. Lastly add kaffir lime leaves and the sauce seasoning. Cook until the sambal turns dark red and chicken is cooked through. Season to taste with salt & sugar (I did not find the need to add salt or sugar).
4. Serve with rice .
1. I substituted kaffir leaves for tahitian lime leaves as I had a tahitian lime tree in my own back yard. If neither of the leaves are available, add some lime zest.
2. I have added some ginger powder as a substitute for fresh ginger.
Recipe : purplegirl @imperial kitchen (adapted)