Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Fresh Mint Vodka Ice Cream with Choc Chunks

A few years ago, 2 years to be exact, I tried this ice cream and we found it to be nice but it didn't wow us enough for a repeat performance. It was put on the back burner.

Because my mint plants were going crazy, I thought I will give this ice cream another go. Much more mint leaves were used and left to infuse with the milk overnight. This gave it more punch. Love the flavour and aroma from the mint and vanilla beans. Definite wow factor !

Mint Vodka Ice Cream

Ingredients
1 cup fresh mint leaves
375ml low fat milk (light blue top)
100gm sugar
1-2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
250ml cream
2 large eggs

3 Tbsp vodka

25gm eating chocolate, coarsely chopped

Mint Ice Cream

Method
1. In a pot on medium-heat, heat the milk and mint leaves to a simmer point (do not allow to boil). Set aside for 1-2 hours (overnight is even better). Sieve off the mint leaves.

2. Using a sharp knife, split the vanilla beans in half lengthways. Scrape out the seeds and add the pod and seeds into the milk, sugar and half the cream.

3. Heat on medium to a simmer point (do not allow to simmer).

4. In a separate container, beat the eggs lightly. Pour in the hot milk slowly to temper it.

5. Return the entire mixture into the saucepan and heat on medium until custard consistency stirring all the time (5-10 minutes). Run a finger down the center of the spoon, and if a line remains separating the two custard halves, then your custard is thick enough and done. 170F or 77C if you have a thermometer.

6. Remove custard from the heat. Lightly whip the remaining cream and add to the custard.

7. Add vodka. Stir well to combine. Strain (if lumpy). Cover the top of the mix with a clingwrap to prevent a skin from forming.

8. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavour develop.

9. Remove vanilla beans. Churn in ice cream machine. Spoon mixture into an airtight container, sprinkle the choc bits on top and freeze for several hours.

10. Leave at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Mint vodka ice cream on a cone
Note
1. The vanilla bean can be substituted with 1 tsp vanilla extract.

2. The texture of the ice cream will always be the best on the day it is made.

3. If you want to serve it to children omit the alcohol.

4. Have a taste while stirring the milk, add more sugar if you prefer it sweeter.

fresh mint vodka ice cream
Tip
1. The ice cream will be softer if kept at the top of the chest freezer.

2. About an hour before churning in the ice cream machine, I usually put the ice cream mixture into the freezer. This is to make it extra cold thus cutting down on the churning time.

3. The addition of alcohol produces a softer ice cream.

4. Leaving the mint in the milk overnight gives the flavour more depth.

5. This video shows the gist of making homemade custard ice cream.

27 Comments:

Tricia said...

oooh! Have to bookmark this for summer time! My son & hubby are ice-cream fanatics! Yummy!

Sinner said...

Hi Tricia,

Since I bought an ice cream maker, we are never without ice cream even in winter. I guess we have joined the fanatics group. lol

Gala said...

I've been wanting to try fresh mint ice cream wondering if it would be worth it. This sounds delicious.

Stella said...

Beautiful-this looks really delicious. I've been thinking about making a vanilla basil ice cream soon-thanks for the reminder!

Tricia said...

Hi Sinner,

Long time no hear! Hope is well at your end!! Hope to see more posting soon!!! I am missing your post!

Take Care!

Sinner said...

Hi Tricia,

Long time no hear indeed! Blogging have taken a bit of a backseat at the moment.

I have a new addiction... Wii ! haha. There is so much fun stuff in there to do. And we are determine to 'master' all those games. lol

You take care too !

Term Papers said...

I really like such ice cream that make me so cool with new flavor like menthol wow

Tricia said...

I have joined into your addiction! My hubby just bought Wii ... waiting for him to install ... may take 2-3 weeks ...

Sinner said...

Hi Tricia,

Welcome to the club ! Why 2-3 weeks to install...thought it was plug & play. At the moment we are into baseball and tennis. Just love the challenge.

Don't blame me when your arms and body gets sore from all that 'exercise'. lol

Momgateway said...

...don't have an ice cream maker but if I had one, yours is the recipe I'd love to try ...

FoxtrotSQQ said...

Hi there Sinner,
Are you still active in your recipe-blogging ???
I am a great fan of your blog - but I have noticed that you have been inactive for over 3 months.
Hope you have not given up on cooking !!!

cheers,
Helen

Sinner said...

Hi Helen,

No, I haven't given up cooking. However, I have taken up a more 'fun' hobby at the moment so will be taking a break from blogging.

Great to be 'missed'. lol.
Thanks for dropping by.

vien said...

hey....Im missing you too.

vien

Unknown said...

Hi Sinner,
Thanks for your update...
When you're ready to go back to food blogging, could I request for a recipe on how to make 'Hum Chui Fah Sang' - the crispy/crunchy (albeit unhealthy)type of Fried Peanuts with Lam Yue.
My parents love eating them - I promise that if you publish the recipe, I'll ration them out !!! :):):)

Hoping ....
Helen

Sinner said...

Hi vien, *hands waving*.
I can't say I am missing blogging yet ! lol



Hi Helen,
I haven't eaten peanuts with nam yue before but I love this other one flavoured with garlic and 5 spice.

Have you tried this recipe savoury coated peanuts. It might be closed to what you are looking for or else you might be able to adapt to suit.

FoxtrotSQQ said...

Many thanks for the savory coated peanuts .... I'll put my thinking cap on and see what I can do !

cheers,
Helen

Lai Fong said...

Dear Sinner,

I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and have been a huge (but silent) fan of your blog for a very long time.

Just want to say a big thank you because you have totally inspired me to cook at home. The last thing I tried was your home made peanut butter and it was just magic, I will never buy peanut butter again.

Next thing I want to try is the home made vanilla extract. May I ask, what sort of vanilla beans do you use and where do you buy them?

Thanks very much,

Lai Fong

chuany said...

hai Sinner

Long time no see,Miss ur posting so much. Hopefully u will be back soon. If u are not back, i think i will be starving. Lol :P

Sinner said...

Hi Lai Fong,

So glad you like the peanut butter. I even bring along my own homemade peanut butter whenever I have to stay overnight at someone's place. Just can't bring myself to eat store ones again.

For the vanilla beans, I found there is plenty of online places in Aust selling them. Shipping is much cheaper if you buy it in Aust. There are 2 types of vanilla beans. For me, both were as good.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sinner said...

Hi chuany,

Sometimes starving can be good. Can loose weight. haha

I am enjoying my break from blogging. Hard to climb back on the horse for now ! lol

Jen Cheung said...

interesting recipes you got here :) thanks for sharing. I never heard of a vodka ice cream!!! It will probably get people drunk if you put a lot of vodka in it eh?? funny.

Nice to meet you :) My name is Jen

have a nice day!
jen @ www.passion4food.ca

Tricia said...

Hey Sinner,

Still enjoying your Wii?? My son has moved on the DSi now ... lasted about 2months! Sigh!

Hope your family and you weren't too shaken up with the earthquakes.

Hope to see your blogging soon.

Take Care!

Sinner said...

Hi Tricia,

Kids attention span are rather short, aren't they ! lol

Yes, still enjoying all those games. However, I fell and hurt my shoulder playing wii, didn't get it treated and now paying the price of a frozen shoulder. Hurts like hell. Doing the medical rounds !

We weren't affected by the earthquake which was a blessing.

You take care too.

Sasa said...

You live in the Waitaks! That caught my eye as I clicked over from another blog...I'm a Kiwi/Japanese girl living in Austria and I miss the bush and sea so this is a nice way to get closer!

KY said...

Wow, you're still on your break! Hope you'll come back at least 'part time' and post a new recipe soon. :)

Delphine said...

Hi Sinner,
Really missed you, I am patiently waiting for your comeback with more food recipes.Happy to know that you & family are not affected by the earthquake. Hope to see you come back soon, wishing you & family an advance Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Sinner said...

Hi Delphine,
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to you too !

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs