Thursday, December 10, 2009

Homemade Golden Syrup

If you are somewhere in this world where golden syrup is not readily available, this homemade version is a good substitute. Of course in terms of fragrance, you can't beat the commercial ones.

I made this especially to make mooncake but with the price of a tin of golden syrup being so expensive nowadays, I have been using this for any baking or cooking that calls for golden syrup in lieu of the store ones.

It is not labour intensive even though it requires 45 minutes cooking, as once the caramel is done, the syrup is left alone to boil quietly. I did admit I stuffed up as I extended the time to 1 hour and the next day after cooling, the syrup was admittedly very hard. But no matter, I did another half a recipe, halved the cooking time, poured the 'hard' syrup in and the golden syrup came out as good as !

Homemade golden syrup

Ingredients
200g sugar
50g water

1 kg sugar
600g boiling water
2 slice lemon


Method
1. Pour 200g sugar and 50g water into a large saucepan. On medium heat, twirl the pot around and caramelise the sugar until a dark golden colour.

2. Add the boiling water, the kilo sugar and lemon slices.

3. On low heat boil for 45 minutes until thick (stir it ocassionally if you must or leave it alone to do its own thing).

4. Cool and pour into sterilised jars or bottles. Label and store in a cool place.

homemade golden syrup for mooncake
Tip
1. The syrup when hot will always look watery but will thicken when cooled.

2. If you find after cooling the syrup is not thick enough, don't panic - boil it again for a few more minutes.

3. On the other hand if you find after cooling the syrup is way too thick, make up another half recipe, add the 'hard' syrup in as well and boil it all together for less than the required 45 minutes.

4. Do not throw away the discarded lemon slice. It taste just like candied lemons.

5. For mooncakes : the golden syrup is the key factor in ensuring that mooncakes keep longer and the skin does not turn mouldy quickly. The syrup is kept in a cool and dry place and left to mature. It can be made months ahead or kept up to a year. Quoted from Amy Beh @kuali.

Recipe : aunty yochana

22 Comments:

Ashley said...

I love this. Thank you so much for the recipe.

Smita said...

Great recipe... Hoping to try it soon.

Thank you!!
Smita

Delphine said...

Hi Sinner,
Very nice syrup & kind of you to share, wishing you & family "Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2010".

Memória said...

Cool! This recipe looks great just like your photos.

Sinner said...

Ashley, Smita - You are most welcome. Thanks for dropping by.

Delphine - Merry Christmas to you and your family too !

Sinner said...

Memoria - thanks for your compliment :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner,

I just made the golden syrup today. Waiting for it to cool completely but I can see that it´s not that thick. I probably have to reboil it tomorrow to thicken it further. Am planning to use it to bake some flan, desserts. I cannot get golden syrup here from the shops so yr recipe is god send :) Many thanks again for sharing so generously :) Oh by the way, do I have to cover the pot while the syrup is cooking? I didn´t cover.


warm regards,
purplegirl

Sinner said...

Hi purplegirl,

Don't be fooled by the consistency when still hot. It sure tricked me. Mine looks so fluid and water-like but when it cooled down the next morning it was like a hardish 'block'. lol I didn't cover the pot.

Have you eaten the lemon yet ? Do you think it taste just like kat chai ? You are most welcome, purplegirl.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner,

The syrup thicken a little more this morning but it could be a bit thicker but I´m not going to reboil it. I think it´s ok. Aiyoh, I threw away the lemon!! Silly me. I read yr tips again only after I´ve thrown them away :(( I miss eating kat chai. Forgot to buy some back when we were on hols in Msia early this year.

Priya Sud said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm from India where branded golden syrup is unheard of and the imported ones are hard to find, specially in small towns. This sure helps. Can't wait to try it out!

Priya Sud

Lizzy said...

thank you for your wonderful and well written recipe. Mine turned out too thick ut i followed your instrcutions and just added water.

i didnt want to make a massive batch so i halved all the ingredients. Being my first time i put a spoonful into a small bowl to cool it quickly to see if it worked without cooling the whole pot down.


İm living in Turkey and the only maple syrup they sell is american but costs $20!!!

thank you thank you thank you! took a peek at your other recipes and i see im going to have great fun in the kitchen next stop: Vodka strawberry jam!!

Anonymous said...

Sinner:

If you use a candy thermometer, your golden syrup will be perfect every time. Just simmer your syrup until it reaches 230F.

Regards.

PP

Sinner said...

Thanks for the tip, PP :)

suniti said...

My grandmother used jaggery for this wonderful syrup, back in Kasauli,India,50 yrs ago. My mum still remembers the taste.
What do you say for this substitution?
Regards,
suniti

jax in france said...

thanks so much for this recipe sinner - i stumbled on your site by googling the equivalent of golden syrup in france as i wanted to pass on a recipe for marshmallows to a french friend - et voila! i love to cook and use golden syrup quite a bit, it's difficult to get here in france - not to mention EXPENSIVE when you do manage to find it so i'm relaly looking forward to trying this out as well as your other mouth watering recipes... keep up the good work!

Aaron C. said...

I just tried it! It's cooling down now, I hope it'll turn out fine. I am from Canada, and we can usually find Golden Syrup, but now I'm in the USA, and it's so hard to find!

Thanks for the recipe!
I will post the outcome on my blog!
blog:
http://kubeen81.blogspot.com/

Subasni said...

Hi,

i'm curious to know how big the jar for the recipe given above. i'm yet to try but the recipe looks good. Thanks

akuanur said...

akuanur
hi,im leaving in malaysia and thank you for the recipie its was awesome..

mouubani datta said...

Thanx soo soo mch....i was going to make chocolate fudge sundae for my boyfriend but couldn't find golden syrup anywhere.so your recipe sure is godsend��thanx again

Unknown said...

Thanks Sinner this helped me so much because I urgently needed golden syrup to make rice crispys for my nursery class and it was night and there's no local shops. Your the best thanks again

Unknown said...

Hi there, just came across your recipe, brilliant. Thank you :-)

debs said...

Debbie Praill. I have been using this recipe for over a year and it has never failed me. I live in Italy and while Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup is easily found, Imrefuse to pY €3,50 or €600 for 350ml, depending what store you're in. This works a treat and the kids love it on Yorkshire puddings or bread. scrummy scrummy scrummy

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs