Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Curry Beef Mince Pie

Pies are something to be enjoyed once in a blue moon. It can be quite fattening. My favourite has to be with a curry mince filling. Time and time again I have been disappointed by pies bought from the bakery. They are soggy and the filling has more goo in them than anything resembling meat. At least by making my own, I get to eat a pie with real meat in it.

I bake mine in the pie maker but it is just as easy to make mini size pies using muffin tins to mould the pastry. This pastry is very light and crispy and a bit healthier than ordinary short crust as it uses less fat.

Curry Beef Mince Pie
Makes 4 or 5 , 5" size pies

Ingredients
260 gm flour
60 gm butter
40 gm shortening
¼ tsp salt
95-105 ml ice cold water
1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice (add to water)

curry mince filling

Method
1. Follow steps 1-4 on making the pastry dough here.

2. Roll pastry to required thickness of 2-4mm (I prefer a thickness of 4mm). Pasta machine can be used.

rolling with a pasta machine and cutting the pastry with the pie maker cutters

3. Cut into rounds. The base pastry should be bigger in diameter than the top. My pie maker comes with top and bottom cutters.

4. Press (gently) pastry base into trays and fill each case with curry mince filling. Top with another pastry, wetting the underside edges, then pressing down to seal.

5. Bake at 210C for 15-20 minutes or until golden and cooked.

Crispy top mince pie with low fat shortcrust pastry
Note : I did not glaze the pie top as I did not feel the need to. Eggs are becoming too expensive to break one just for glazing !

Tip : The pastry can be precut and frozen.

6 Comments:

F.Lee said...

Where did you buy the pie maker?

Sinner said...

Hi F.Lee, I got my pie maker from Appliance Shed, Auckland. If you are from NZ, you should be able to get a pie maker from any appliance shops.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

My weakness: curry beef inside really fattening pastry! ;)

Thanks for sharing. Looks absolutely delicious. I'm bookmarking this for my next indulgence.

Sinner said...

eatingclub,
Thanks. My weakness is anything to do with pastry ;)

Olivia said...

Hi

Great pie. Will definitely give it a try and link you to my blog.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Cheers
Oliva

Sinner said...

Hi Oliva,
Thanks for the link. Welcome to our blog.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs