Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Savoury Coated Peanuts

Another moreish temptation which I daresay is high in calories. Definitely not for one on a diet.

These savoury coated nuts was another nibble I used to make for Chinese New Year. A crunchy nut, the flavour of which is enhanced with 5-spice, pepper and garlic. They are not salty and if cooked right should not leave a greasy feel to the fingers.

Savoury Coated Peanuts
Ingredients
300 gm raw peanuts
1 egg
3/4 - 1 tsp salt
1½ Tbsp sugar
1 tsp pepper
4 pip garlic, mashed
½ Tbsp five spice powder
75 gm flour


Method
1. Lightly beat egg and add garlic.
2. Pour egg mixture into the peanuts (fig 2).

far sang
3. Mix flour with the rest of the dry ingredients. Add to peanuts and stir to coat well (fig 3).
4. Heat up oil and deep fry peanuts until golden.


5. Drain and store in air tight containers.


Note :
I usually store the bulk of the cooked peanuts in the freezer as nuts can go rancid very quickly. To defrost just take the jar out of the freezer and leave to defrost at room temperature. No difference to the crunchy texture and the nuts stay fresh longer.

Chinese style savoury coated peanuts
Recipe : Lai Yee (6th Auntie)

4 Comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow, this is great! I love to munch on this coated peanuts and now I know I can make it myself for cheap! Thanks for posting this recipe! Make it for CNY, excellent idea! :D

Sinner said...

Little Corner of Mine, you are most welcome. Making your own is definitely cheaper and fresher.

Iris and Alex said...

Brilliant, thanks for posting this, have just tried it and very nice they are two. I had been looking for an alternative to the chilli coated peanuts that I buy.

You don't mention mixing in a colander, but I see from figure 3 that you do. I realised while mixing that a colander was useful to avoid having lots of 'bits' ending up in the oil.

I did add chilli powder - surely essential in coated peanuts! I also added a little baking powder.

Thanks again!
Alex

Sinner said...

Hi Alex, thanks for the feedback. I am guessing you like 'hot' food ;)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs