Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Woo Tau Kow Yoke ~ sandwiched yam & pork

A very rich and strong flavoured dish. A slice of yam is sandwiched with pork and steamed.

woo tau kau yoke

Ingredients
600 gm pork belly (ng far nam)
600 gm yam (taro)
black soy sauce
2 Tbsp oil
1-2 star anise (pat kok)


Seasoning
½ tsp sesame oil
4 Tbsp sugar
5 cube red fermented beancurd (name yue)
½ Tbsp five spice powder
1 Tbsp garlic
½ tsp brandy
1 cup water

Method

1. Boil pork in a pot of water for 20 minutes.
2. Remove pork and brush black sauce over the skin.
3. Fry pork with oil, skin first for 5 minutes. Then turn over.
4. Cut into slices, the same thickness as the yam.
5. Slice the yam and fry (no oil) until dry.
6. Mix seasoning and cook over low fire until dissolved.
7. Arrange pork and yam in a bowl, skin down.
8. Break up 1 or 2 pieces of star anise and place in bowl.
9. Pour seasoning to cover pork and yam.
10. Sprinkle some five spice powder on top of the pork and yam.
11. Steam for 30-45 minutes on high heat until yam and pork is cooked and tender.
12. Before serving thicken gravy with cornflour.

Redneck says ……
This is very rich and was my favorite Chinese dish when I visited Malaysia some years ago. We were fortunate that we were able to get the restaurant owner to sit at the table with us and provide the recipe.

13 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tks so much for sharing. I have tried making this woo tau kow yoke and the sauce was wonderful...however my meat turned out to be tough. I actually steam it for about 50 minutes. Maybe I should steam it longer. My family loves it and has requested that I try making it again for them.

Thank you again.

Peng

Sinner said...

Hi Peng,

I am glad your family love the kau yoke. If you have a pressure cooker the steaming process can be shortened considerably.

Thank you for your feedback. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thanks for this wonderful recipe....it was my fav and Ive not tasted it for many many years since I left KL; gonna get the ingredients and cook it tonite. Cheers, Michelle

Sinner said...

Michelle, how was the kau yoke ?

Anonymous said...

Hi, the dish taste great to me even though my partner wasnt really enjoyed. Eating was fast but took me hours to cook and clean. Still wants more after that; but I think I'll starts on Pak Lo Ngap this weekend. Thanks for your recipies ;)Cheers, Michelle

Sinner said...

Hi Michelle,
Since you did all the hard work, I am glad you like the taste. What I usually do is, I make a bigger quantity and then freeze. It will keep for a few months in the freezer and in fact taste much better. To defrost, just microwave and ta da...instant woo tau kau yoke ;)

Pak Lo Ngap should be much less work.

Thanks for the feedback.

dawsding said...

Thanks for this wonderful recipe. i tried it for the first time tonight and it turned our PERFECTO!! I followed everything to the T except i pressure cooked the lot for 20 mins. the meat could use 5 more mins of pressure cooking for that melt in your mouth texture but it was still excellent never the less, i'll make more seasoning the next time though coz the family (6 of us) just cant get enuff of them. So sinner do i double up evrything for a double dose of seasoning?? Thanks again!

Sinner said...

dawsding,
I am so glad it was PERFECTO ;) Ever since I got a pressure cooker, I too have been cooking it with that. It is so fast isn't it.
Yes double up on the seasoning for more sauce. I serve the kau yoke on a layer of lettuce leaves, it is yum...you might end up with your family fighting over the lettuce.

greedy said...

wow this is better than the ones i hav eaten in rest. the sauce was very rich and flavoursome. my fam. truly enjoyed it. many thanx for sharing tis recipe

Sinner said...

greedy, so glad your family like this dish as well. Thanks for the feedback. :)

CL said...

Hi, Thanks for the recipe. I just made this dish with some man tou. Delicious!! Thanks again.

Sinner said...

Hi MK mummy,

It is lunch time and my mouth is watering at the thought of man tou with the kau yook :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Unknown said...

I've been looking for this recipe. Finally I found it here. I'm going to try it if I find a good taro. Thank you for the recipe :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs