Making tahini is easy provided you have the proper blender or grinder. Unless you are making a big quantity, you will need something small or the blade will just go round and round without touching the mix. I used my coffee grinder which worked a treat.
This recipe is double what is needed for my cumin and coriander hummus.
4 Tbsp sesame seed
1 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp sea salt
1-2 Tbsp warm water
1. Lightly toast sesame seeds in a small pot over a stove on low heat. This should not take more than 5 minutes. Leave to cool.
2. Grind your sesame seeds in the coffee grinder until smooth. Add in sesame oil and salt and grind again.
3. Slowly add in water, about a tsp at a time until you are pleased with the texture. If you prefer a more runny texture - add a bit more water.
4. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
5. Use half the quantity made, for this cumin and coriander hummus .