Monday, July 03, 2006

Yee Chai Pang {Spiral Ear Biscuit}

The spiral ear biscuit bring back a feeling of nostalgia. As a child, I remember yee chai pang (as they are known in cantonese) being an all time favourite. The biscuit is savoury in taste, not hard but very crunchy and is also very moreish.

yee chai paeng
Makes : 48 biscuits

Ingredients
175g plain flour
1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/8 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 tsp salt
25g castor sugar


1 shallot, blended finely
1-3/4 tbsp oil
45ml or enough water

Method
1. Sift flour, soda and five spice power into a mixing bowl. Add in salt, pepper and sugar. Mix in blended shallots and oil and add in just enough water to combine. Mix into a soft and pliable dough.

2. Roll dough out into a flat rectangle then roll up into a spiral. Put the roll in the freezer for 1 hour (this is done to harden the dough so that cutting it is easier).


3. Slice the roll thinly and deep-fry slices in hot oil over a moderate flame. Remove and drain the biscuits.

Store cooled ear-like biscuits in airtight containers

Note
As a shortcut, I used the pasta machine to roll the dough. When rolling the dough into a spiral, roll it very tightly.

Recipe : Amy Beh @kuali

4 Comments:

jadepearl said...

Hi there!

While I was looking for Chee Cheong Fun recipe, I came across your blog. Hope you don't mind me dropping by. I am JP from KC also. Wah, I love Yee Chai Peng...my fav. childhood biscuit. Love your blog. Hope you don't mind me linking you. :)

HuggieBear said...

Hello there, I am estatic when I see you have the recipe of yee chai beng:D Thank you for sharing.Can i not fry it... can i bake it instead?

Sinner said...

Hi Huggiebear,
I have never tried baking it but if you do try, would love to hear the outcome.

Lekkus said...

Hello Sinner, I'm Erik Haacke from Holland and I like your internet content. I was born and grew up in Singapore. Yee Chai Pang (Butterfly Biscuits) were my favourite munchie - even during classes! Your recipe is great, thank you. But I think that there used to be one more ingredient (when I was young): 'fish sauce'?
Cheers, Erik.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs