Monday, November 23, 2009

Soy Braised Fresh Mushrooms

We went a bit overboard when fresh flat mushrooms were on special at $3/kg bag. With beef wellington in mind, we bought 3 packets.

After the high cholestrol meal, we wanted something clean and simple for dinner the next day.

I decided to braise some of the mushrooms and have plenty of sauce to go with the homemade fresh noodles. The mushrooms were braised until they were really soft and it went extremely well with the silky smooth wanton noodles. The sauce was to die for !!

chinese braised mushroom

Ingredients
300g fresh mushroom

1 Tbsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 clove garlic, minced
1 small slice ginger, julienne


Sauces :
1 Tbsp Yuen Chun dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
½ tsp sugar
1-1½ cup water or stock

2 tsp cornflour mix with a little water

Method
1. Heat oil in pot and fry garlic and ginger for a few seconds.

2. Stir in the mushrooms. Add in the water slowly.

3. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.

4. Stir in cornflour.

5. Serve with noodles or rice.

Tip
The brand of dark soy sauce does make a difference to the flavour of the dish. Yuen Chun dark soy sauce will also make homemade wanton mee taste very authentic.

11 Comments:

Pei-Lin said...

Yumm!! Thanks for sharing! This is one of my all-time faves! Simple and yet flavorful!

Cheers from Malaysia,
Pei-Lin

pigpigscorner said...

wow the sauce looks amazing!

Shereen said...

Hi Sinner,
I am familiar with this Yuen Chun soy sauce as this was the brand that I used to buy in Malaysia.However,ever since I moved to Auckland,I could not find this brand in my local Asian Grocery stores.I managed to buy the Yuen Chun Thick Caramel Sauce in Tofu Shop but after checking your recipe again,I realised I have bought the wrong one...hahahah(I am stuck with 750ml!!).May I know where you bought yours?Thank you.

Sinner said...

Hi Shereen,

I bought this bottle sometime back so can't remember which shop I bought it from. There are 3 chinese shops here in Henderson that I get my chinese groceries from.

Tell you what...the next time I go shopping I will go have a look and tell you exactly which of the shops here have them.

I love this brand. Food cooked with it is so much nicer.

Shereen said...

Dear Sinner,
Thank you so much for replying so fast.I really appreciated your thoughtfulness.I am going back to Malaysia at the end of the year and if you want me to get anything for you,it will not be a problem at all.Do let me know,ok.

Sinner said...

Hi Shereen,

Writing up my long list. Just kidding ! haha.

You are just too kind. Thanks so much for the offer though. End of year is just round the corner. Will be thinking of you eating all those yummy mouthwatering food.

Sinner said...

Hi Shereen,

Just back from scrutinising the 3 shops here. Lim Chhour (taken over and renamed DH) still has the Yuen Chun thick blended sauce (dark soy sauce) that I have. In fact I bought another bottle just in case. Cost : $6.99 - no price rise. They have about 10 bottles in stock. Expiry 2011.

Then I hopped over to Tofu shop and found your Yuen Chun thick caramel sauce. Comes in a narrow plastic bottle. Cost : $5.99. They only have this in stock.

Silver Bell doesn't have much in the way of dark soy sauce.

Thank you once again for your kind offer to buy me stuff from Msia. You are much too kind.

Shereen said...

Thank you so much for the info. I searched for Lim Chhour and the only one I found was in K Road. I also looked up DH but had no luck at all. As I am unfamiliar with Henderson, can you provide me with their whereabouts in Henderson. I baked your Seremban Siew Pau today and it turned out fantastic, its the real deal!! Thanks again.

Sinner said...

Hi Shereen,

So glad your siew pau turned out well :) Just wondering whether K Rd be nearer for you to go to ? If you like, leave me your email address and I will email you the link to the one in Henderson.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sinner,

I've been a fan lurker for ages, finally thought I'd say hi :)

The mushrooms just look mouth watering, I can't wait to try as the husband is a big fan of mushroom. Do I have to use shitake or would any mushroom from the supermarket do?

Thanks,
Jenn

Sinner said...

Hi Jenn,

Any type of mushroom can be used for this but the ones with thick flesh is better. I use whatever is on special :)
Thanks for dropping by.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs