I was not happy with the result of my last attempt at making chee cheong fun. Trying to scrape and roll it from the cloth was tedious. Hence the long break since my last trial.
Armed with tips from kc members, this time I got better results and was more successful by using a plate to steam the batter. The chee cheong fun turned out thinner and much smoother.
150g rice flour
1½ Tbsp Wheat starch flour
2 Tbsp Corn flour
1 Tbsp Oil
½ tsp Salt
1. Mix the rice flour, wheat starch and corn flour together.
2. Add water slowly and stir continuously.
3. Add the oil and salt and mix thoroughly.
4. Set batter aside for at least an hour.
5. Prepare your steamer. Place an oiled plate onto a tray.
6. When the water is boiling, ladle and spread a thin layer of batter onto the hot plate. Steam for about 4-5 mins on high.
7. Remove the plate from the steamer and use a scrapper to roll up the chee cheong fun.
8. Arrange on a serving plate.
9. Continue with the rest of the batter.
10.Serve with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seed , fried onions and thim cheong or chilli sauce.
Update (4/3/08) - video : Improved version for making chee cheong fun. Follow the method as per the homemade kway teow video but use the ingredients here.
Thim Jeong ~ Sweet Sauce
1/2 cup water
7 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
3 Tbsp soya sauce
1 Tsp black soya sauce
Mix all ingredients together and cook over medium flame until slightly thick.
Recipe : cwl @kitchencaper (adapted)