Hainanese Chicken & Rice......
Ingredients for Hainanese Chicken
1 chicken (about 1.5kg)
1 inch young ginger
1 tsp mince garlic
enough boiling water to cover the chicken
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1. Clean, wash the chicken. Do not cut off the neck.
2. Tie a string to the neck. Set aside. (The purpose of the string is to avoid damage to the skin. An alternative would be to use a hook).
3. Boil a large pot of water, add ginger. The water has to be sufficient to cover the whole chicken.
4. Put the whole chicken into the boiling water.
5. Cook over low heat for 20 mins with cover off.
6. After 20 mins, turn off the fire. Leave the chicken inside the pot for another 10 mins with cover on.
7. Then remove the chicken immediately.
8. Transfer the chicken to a pot of iced water with ice for 5 minutes (This is to arrest the cooking and will make the chicken skin crisp)
9. Remove. Drained and put the chicken back into the boiling stock.
10. Do not turn on the fire. Let it soak for 10 minutes.
11. Remove the chicken and let it cool completely.
12. Once cooled, rub sesame oil over the chicken.
13. Cut chicken to bite size pieces.
14. Before serving drizzle 2 tbsp of chicken stock and soy sauce over chicken.
After cutting, if the chicken is not cook through, bathe the chicken with the boiling stock. Repeat 3 to 4 times.
Ingredients for the Chicken Rice
2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
1 Tbsp chicken fat oil or cooking oil
½" ginger bruised
½ tsp salt
1 clove mashed garlic
1. Heat wok with chicken oil. Add the uncooked rice.
2. Keep frying until the rice turns slightly yellow.
3. Scoop the rice into the rice cooker. Add chicken stock (water that was used to boil the chicken), salt, garlic and ginger. The liquid should cover the rice by about 1/2 an inch.
4. Cook the rice.
Ingredients for Chilli Sauce
2 tbsp chilli sauce (see pic below)
1 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp chicken stock
1 tsp ginger juice
1. Combine all the ingredients together.
I find it just as easy to use chilli sauce from a bottle than try and blend my own.
This particular type has all the essentials : vinegar, ginger, sugar and salt.