That was it. I refuse to be dictated to, and be told what I can or cannot buy, or where from. I decided to make my own !
It was actually ridiculously easy provided you have a gadget similar to the famous Magic Bullet and you can have fresh peanut butter jelly sandwich in less than 3 minutes. The proof is in the video.
The texture was in fact much creamier and not as dry as the bought ones. And you can actually smell and taste the peanut. Once you have tried some homemade peanut butter, you won't want to go back to that tasteless storebought 'paste'. Plus you know exactly what ingredients has been used.
Yield : > ½ cup
150gm (1 cup) roasted peanuts
½ tsp peanut oil or onion oil
¼ tsp salt
1. Place all the peanuts into cup of the bullet. Use the flat blade and process until the nuts are roughly broken up.
2. Add oil and salt. Change to the cross blade. Continue to pulse (shaking and scraping the sides of the container every now and then). As you process you will notice the mixture will become more liquid and oily. Process until you are happy with the texture.
Flat Blade...............Cross Blade
3. Scoop the peanut butter into an airtight container. It may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
This is a 3 minute video of the whole process of making creamy peanut butter. Not my usual fast and sped up videos. I had to prove through this 'uncut' version that it can be done in less than 3 minutes.
Accompanying music : Popcorn
I prefer to make this small quantity which last me a week. The peanut butter stays fresh, moist and fragrant.
1. To get a darker coloured peanut butter, roast the peanuts until it is darker. I find the overly roasted peanuts makes a much more aromatic peanut butter.
2. I prefer to use onion oil as I always have some in my pantry and it also makes the peanut butter more fragrant.
3. Leave the peanut butter to sit for a few minutes and you will notice a glisten of oil on top.