Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pak Lo Ngap ~ Teochew Braised Duck

A very scrumptious duck. This teochew braised duck called Pak Lo Ngap in cantonese, is sweet tasting from the use of rock sugar and is contrasted sharply by the vinegary dipping sauce. You get that mouth watering sweet sour sensation.

In this instance I have used the pressure cooker to cook half a duck which only took less than a third of the time. The duck was well braised and the meat literally falling off the bones.

Pak Lo Ark

Ingredients
½ duck (1kg)
½ Tbsp five spice powder
3/4 tsp salt

20 gm galangal, finely sliced
4 pip garlic, finely sliced
½ Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp sugar
100 ml soy sauce
1¼ - 2 cup water


30-40 gm rock sugar

Method
1. Rub 5-spice and salt over the duck and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour.

2. Heat up the wok with oil and fry sliced galangal and garlic until golden brown. Remove and set aside.

3. Melt the sugar in the wok. Add soy sauce and duck. Coat the duck with the mixture. Add the water, galangal and garlic (pic 1).

4. Bring to the boil. Lock the lid of the pressure cooker and once pressure have been reached, turn heat to low and cook for 25 minutes.


5. Once cooked, let the duck sit in the pressure cooker on natural release (pic 2).

6. Scoop up the oil floating on the surface of the gravy. Dissolve the rock sugar with some of the duck gravy in a separate container.

7. Turn the duck skin down and boil to thicken the gravy. Turn skin side up and spoon the rock sugar solution over the duck.

8. Remove, let duck rest for 10 minutes (pic 3) and then carve. Serve with dipping sauce.

Pak Lo Ngap

Dipping Sauce
1 pip garlic, chopped
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp white vinegar

Bring all ingredients to a boil and serve with the duck.


Pak Lo Duck ~ Teochew Braised Duck
Recipe : Cuisine Magazine July 2007 (adapted)

21 Comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks so delicious!

Sinner said...

Thanks :}

Anonymous said...

This recipe was a success! HAve been craving this since moving to the UK as the only sell Roasted Duck here. My fav place to eat this duck in KL is in SS2 behind CHow Yang. But I guess I dont have to do that now!!

Amy Goh said...

Hello,

Thank u 4 sharing ur yummy looking ducky? May I check soy sauce, u mean dark soy sauce right?

Secondly if I would like to turn the remnant of duck gravy into kway teow soup, wat's ur advice?

TIA

Sinner said...

Amy, the soy sauce here is not dark soy sauce. I have edited the recipe to include the link of the type of soy sauce I use. The dark colour you see in the gravy is due to the sugar caramelising.
The gravy would be very nice for noodle. Play around with it and adapt to suit :)

Amy Goh said...

Hello,

Thank you for enlightening.

Should be trying out real soon! :)

Amy Goh said...

Hi,
This recipe is definitely a keeper. I cooked it last nite and we ate today. Ur recipe is easy to prepare and very tasty. I used the extra gravy to cook Vietnamese kway teow soup, soOo gd! I shall junk my usual method of braising duck...though tasty but too time consuming!
(I tried to address u as sinner, my ds walked passed and asked me, mum, cannot call her a sinner!!! I asked: Then how should I address? Since her name is dat, he says, just say Hi! lor) LOL.

Sinner said...

Amy,
I am so glad you like this duck. We love it with the dipping sauce. It takes it to the next level in taste.

You have a very polite and consciencious ds. ha ha tell him I don't mind...really !

Amy Goh said...

Hello,

Thanks for the reminder!I shall try ur dipping sauce next time. Must be a divine combi. Will be trying your
tamarind duck with coriander soon. I bet it's gonna be good! :0)

madimomi said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe! My husband said the duck was incredible.

Sinner said...

Excellent!
Thanks for the feedback, madimomi :)

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe last weekend when friends came over. Sad to say, it was so popular I did not manage to eat much myself.

I now have request for an encore duck. Thanks for sharing !

Sinner said...

Tricia, your friends are so lucky. Don't forget to grab yourself the drumstick first at the encore.
Thanks for the feedback :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I would like to know if pressure cooker cooks for 25 mins, how long must I cook if I'm cooking in a normal pot?

Thanks

Sinner said...

Grace,
Cooking normally would take 2-3 hours depending on the size of the duck.

Jennifer said...

Hi sinner,

Did you grind your own five spice powder? If yes, what brand/model of grinder did you use?


Regards,
Jennifer

Sinner said...

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I was away on holiday.

I do grind my own 5 spice powder and I strongly recommmend it. Link is here. It makes a great difference to your dish. Extra fragrant. I grind just enough to last me 2-3 months.

I am using a coffee grinder. Sunbeam MultiGrinder model EM0400. Bought it when on special. Quite cheap.

ratu said...

hey pak lo ngap what language it? but this is looks tasty!! ...mmm..

Sinner said...

Pak lo ngap...thats chinese cantonese for braised duck. Thanks for dropping by.

Nimi said...

Hi sinner,
Since the recipes produce excellent results and good comments from ur reader, i would like to try out this pak lo recipe, but my hubby prefer using pork. how to make variation of this recipe by using pork e.g pork knuckle?

hope to hear from you, and thanks for sharing the recipe above..

rose said...

I wanted to try this recipe for so long, finally i got the chance. got a fresh whole duck from chinatown and cooked a whole one in my Fagor 10 qt pressure cooker. it was easy and the fat all rendered on top. the gravy is so tasty. my husband said it's the aromatics that really makes it so flavorful. i didn't have to thicken the gravy with rock sugar as we just ate it with chili garlic sauce

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs