Even though this is a slightly healthier version than most of the recipes out there, they are still detrimental to ones waistline !
Makes 30-34 cookies
125 gm butter
40 gm brown sugar
70 gm sugar
½ tsp homemade vanilla extract
120 gm chocolate chips
190 gm plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla essence. Beat well.
2. Add flour and mix to a soft dough. Stir in 3/4 of the choc chips.
3. Melt remaining choc chips in the microwave. Pour into the dough and stir briefly to give a marbled effect. (Do not overstir or you won't get the marbled effect).
4. Place rounded tablespoonful onto lined tray leaving a spacing of at least 1" for it to expand.
5. Bake at 190C for 10-12 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to 120C and bake for a further 5-10 minutes to continue drying out the cookie center. (If you like your cookies chewy, skip this step).
7 . Remove and cool on a wire rack. Store in airtight containers.
1. If you have a sweet tooth increase the brown sugar and sugar to 100gm each .
2. Omit baking powder if using self raising flour.
1. I have always substituted the butter with a low fat margarine - no change in the texture but less fattening.
2. I recently bought one of these scoops. Holds 1½ tablespoons. Scoop, squeeze and drop in one swift motion without the dough sticking to the scoop. A real time saver. My cookies are now more uniform in size and shape as well.
Recipe : Cathryn (adapted)