Saturday, April 14, 2007

Homemade Tahini

Making tahini is easy provided you have the proper blender or grinder. Unless you are making a big quantity, you will need something small or the blade will just go round and round without touching the mix. I used my coffee grinder which worked a treat.

This recipe is double what is needed for my cumin and coriander hummus.

Homemade Tahini
Ingredients
4 Tbsp sesame seed
1 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp sea salt
1-2 Tbsp warm water

Method
1. Lightly toast sesame seeds in a small pot over a stove on low heat. This should not take more than 5 minutes. Leave to cool.
2. Grind your sesame seeds in the coffee grinder until smooth. Add in sesame oil and salt and grind again.


Tahini with a coffee grinder




3. Slowly add in water, about a tsp at a time until you are pleased with the texture. If you prefer a more runny texture - add a bit more water.


4. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
5. Use half the quantity made, for this cumin and coriander hummus .

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

What brand model etc of grinder did you use that worked so well? I just am ending up with part paste, part whole seeds in mine.

Sinner said...

bctoadlover

The coffee grinder I use is Tefal prep'line. I grind the sesame seeds without adding water or oil until it is fully ground. Of course it will never be as refined as a store-bought tahini but it is fine enough for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi--- I am a lactation consultant preparing a powerpoint presentation on nutritious foods for nursing mothers. I love your tahini photo and am seeking permission to use it. Thank you.

Lisa

Sinner said...

Hi Lisa,
Yes, you can use my tahini photo for your presentation.

Thank you for asking.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs